Can CBD help with Corona Virus?
With the Covid-19 Pandemic that’s sweeping across the country we are inundated with customers, friends and family asking if CBD can help fending of the virus. So, here’s the facts –
- Coronavirus is a respiratory illness.
- Covid- 19 is a novel coronavirus identified in 2019.
- Covid- 19 is spread through respiratory droplets from person to person (through coughing and sneezing).
- Symptoms are: Fever, cough, shortness of breath.
- Patients may develop complications such as pneumonia.
- Some people with underlying health conditions are at risk of severe complications. This includes people who are:
- Aged 70 or over
- Have Asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema, bronchitis.
- Heart Disease/Heart Failure
- Chronic Kidney Disease- hepatitis
- Chronic Neurological Conditions – Parkinson’s Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy
- Spleen issues – sickle cell
- A weakened immune system – HIV, AIDS,
- Taking Steroids/chemotherapy/radiotherapy
- Being seriously overweight.
- There is no vaccine to protect against Covid-19
- The best way to prevent infection is to:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you sneeze and immediately put in the tissue in the bin
- Avoid contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
- Only use public transport if you have to
- Work from home is possible
- Avoid social activities (pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants)
- Avoid events with large groups
- Don’t use the NHS unless you have to – use NHS 111, online services or apps.
- EVERYONE IS BORN WITH AN ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM
- Endocannabinoids are molecules made by your body
- Endocannabinoids keep internal functions running smoothly
- Endocannabinoid Receptors are found throughout your body – endocannabinoids bind to the receptors to signal that the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) needs to take action.
- There are 2 main endocannabinoid Receptors
- CB1 – found in the central nervous system
- CB2 – found in peripheral nervous system – especially immune cells
- The Endocannabinoid System Regulates:
- Appetite & Digestion
- Immune System Responses
- Motor Control
- Cardiovascular System Function
- Muscle Formation
- Liver Function
- Skin Function
- Nerve Function
- All of the above functions contribute to Homeostasis – The stability of your internal organs/environment.
- CBD regulates the Endocannabinoid System – which regulates internal bodily functions
- CBD binds to CB1 or CBD2 receptors
- CBD stimulates CB1 & CBD2 receptors
- CBD stops enzymes from breaking down endocannabinoids allowing your body to utilise them to regulate ECS functions.
- CBD supports your body to resolve internal issues and internal functions as listed above
There is no evidence anywhere to suggest that CBD can fend off or stop Coronavirus or Covid 19. There is no research underway and it is doubtful that there will be any in the future.
Research on cannabis in the UK has been limited in the past due to the illegality of the plant. On the 1st November 2018, cannabis was rescheduled from a schedule 1 to a schedule 2 drug. This has opened the door for research a lot of which is underway as we speak.
We know that CBD helps the Endocannabinoid system to regulate our bodies but there still a lot of research to be done to understand this process in its entirety.
The World Health Organisation states
“In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential….CBD is generally well tolerated with a good safety profile” (World Health organisation. Cannabidiol Critical Review. June 2018.)
CBD can support your endocannabinoid system to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
We know that the current pandemic is causing anxiety and panic, but if we stick together, support each other we’ll get through it.
As a company, Lakeland CBD has followed our own policies surrounding self -regulation and transparency. We can trace all our products from seed to shelf and we don’t make medical claims in line with the rules set out by the MHRA. We sell a food supplement to improve your overall health and wellbeing which is in noway intended to treat or cure any medical conditions. And we strongly advise to seek advice from your GP when taking a new supplement.